Award

Award
Social Media Award Winner

Friday, September 23, 2016

IVF and Equality

There's nothing like going through IVF, ICSI or similar treatment to highlight the yawning gap between the sexes. 

For example, I have to take drugs that make me bloated and put on weight. The hubby meanwhile is managing to lose weight and while I am lamenting the loss of my figure, he's buying clothes.

My hormones are raging, my estrogen levels are rocketing and my mood swings are immense. 

Hubby maintains calmness at all times, even when playing Battlefield while I attempt to get an early night (but fail to benefit from said early night because of the quintuple visits to the bathroom).

But the gap was brought home most fully today when Mr Mermaid got a beautiful, large hamper from East India Company as a prize for winning a competition.

East India Company gift
It was replete with teas of all flavours, different bars of chocolates, assorted jams, pickles, spreads and mustards, crackers, biscuits, fruit infused syrups and delicate glassware for teas and lattes, all packed in a gorgeous box adorned with a silken ribbon.

Today I also got a hamper. It was full of syringes, tablets, pills, phials and a gel to stick somewhere unmentionable, all presented in a tightly packed white box, adorned with some clear sticky tape.

ICSI medication
#Equality. Or in the case of Mr Mermaid, equali-tea. 

3 comments:

Electro-Kevin said...

Dear Simoney

I don't have your email so doubtless this will get to you too late.

I regret that Nick Kennerley passed away last week. His funeral is Thursday 13th October 11am at Kensall green crematorium.

I won't be there as I'm taking my share in the palliative care of my terminally ill father that day. (I only learned of this sad news last night.)

On the up side of life - my twin boys were by IVF (which we paid for) and one has just started Med school, the other an MSc in Chem. Money well spent... and continuing to be spent :(

I hope you and yours are well.

Electro-Kevin said...

I practised on an orange before giving wifey her daily injection and I became such a pro that she prefered me to the nurse.

Best of luck. It is a very anxious time.

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

Thanks EK for both messages.